Bibliography of the Sitar
Articles, sitar books, instruction videos, performance videos, CDs
This list is presented without recommendations to any of their contents. We
intend to eventually review all these books, articles etc. and report critically
on their contents. Please send addditions or corrections to Editor, email: info [at] batish.com
- Sitar Tutor #1 - "Introduction to Sitar"
(Instructional Video), 1995. Batish Publications.
Length 1 hour.
- Sitar Tutor #2 - "Begining Sitar Exercises",
(Instructional Video), 1995. Batish Publications. Length 1
- Sitar Tutor #3 - Tweaking Your Sitar
(Instructional Video), 1996. Length
- Sitar Tutor #4 - Changing Your Sitar Strings Batish Publications
- Sitar Buying Tips, RagaNet article, Issue 1. Batish Institute.
- More Sitar Buying Tips and repairs of the sitar gourd, RagaNet article, Issue 2. Batish Institute.
- Picking the right sitar for you, sitar tuning tones, RagaNet article, Issue 3. Batish Institute.
- Sitar Tuning Chart, RagaNet article, Issue 4. Batish Institute.
- Sitar Adjustments, Sitar Tuning issues, Tuning the Sitar using Harmonics, Correcting the sitar's action, RagaNet article, Issue 5. Batish Institute.
- Sitar String Gauges, RagaNet article, Issue 6. Batish Institute.
- Stringing Your Sitar, RagaNet article, Issue 7. Batish Institute.
- Traditional and alternative sitar holding and sitting positions, RagaNet article, Issue 8. Batish Institute.
Sharma, Bhagvat Sharan M.A.
- Sitar Malika (Hindi)
Hamilton, James S.,
- "Sitar Music in Calcutta: An
Ethnomusicological Study" (1989: University of Calgary Press)ISBN: 0919813682
Craske, Oliver - Editor
- Raga Mala: The Autobiography of Ravi Shankar
by Ravi Shankar, George Harrison (Editor),
352 pages Publisher: Welcome Rain; (October 1999)
Miner, Allyn; Farley P. Richmond (Editor)
- "Sitar and Sarod in the 18th and 19th Centuries". 265 pages. Publisher: Motilal Banarsidass Pub; 1 edition (January 1, 1997) ISBN: 8120812999
Slawek, Stephen M.
- "Sitar Technique in Nibaddha Forms" Hardcover: 232 pages. Publisher: Motilal Banarsidass Pub; 2nd edition (January 1, 2000) ISBN: 8120802004
- "Techniques of sitar: the prince among all musical instruments of India"
Junius, Manfred M.
- The sitar : the instrument and its technique
117 pages. Publisher: Heinrichshofen
- "The Sitar Book: A Practical Guide to Playing Sitar."
Paperback: 84 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 8.27
Publisher: Asia Publishing House; (October 1989)
Vir, Ram Avatar
- "Learn to Play on Sitar,"
Asia Pub House; (December 1981)